Dump Truck Slams into Semi-Truck on Highway, Both Drivers Ticketed

Earlier this week near Dover, Delaware, a dump truck driver crashed his truck into the rear of a semi-truck that was parked on the side of the highway. Thankfully, no one was injured as a result. According to one local Delaware news report, the accident took place in the southbound lanes of Delaware Route 1 at around five in the morning.

Evidently, the operator of the dump truck was heading south on Delaware 1 when he became momentarily distracted and drifted off the road and into the right median. As the truck made its way off the road, it collided with a semi-truck that had parked under an overpass on the highway. The force from the collision pushed the semi-truck some 300 feet down the highway and up onto a grassy embankment. The dump truck ended up toppling over on its side a few hundred feet from the point of collision.

The operator of the semi-truck was in the sleeper area of the truck at the time of the collision and was surprisingly not injured at all in the accident. The driver of the dump truck was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, and he was released after just a few hours. Both drivers were ticketed by police after the accident, the dump truck driver for inattentive driving and the semi-truck operator for parking in a no-stopping zone.

Determining Fault and Legal Liability in Maryland Truck Accidents

Judging by the decision of the police to issue citations to both drivers, it would seem that both drivers shared fault in the truck accident discussed above. In Maryland, under the doctrine of “contributory negligence,” when the parties involved in an accident are both determined to be at fault, neither driver can recover from the other for their injuries. This rule applies even when one party is 95% to blame and the other just 5%.

Recovering in Maryland Truck Accidents

Given the strict rules regarding who is entitled to recover in Maryland truck accidents, it becomes incredibly important for an accident victim to meet with an attorney early on in the trial process to ensure that the defendant is not able to shift a portion of the blame for the accident onto the accident victim, effectively defeating their opportunity to recover for any injuries they sustained. An experienced attorney can help accident victims preserve their right to recovery through thorough investigation, research, and litigation when necessary. To learn more, contact a dedicated Maryland truck accident attorney.

Have You Been Injured in a Maryland Truck Accident?

If you or a loved one has recently been injured in a Maryland truck accident, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. However, it is important to keep in mind that truck drivers, as well as the companies that employ them, will rarely admit liability and fairly compensate you for your injuries on their own. A dedicated attorney can help you get what you deserve for the injuries you’ve suffered. The skilled attorneys at Lebowitz & Mzhen Personal Injury Lawyers have decades of experience holding negligent parties responsible for the injuries they have caused. Call 410-654-3600 today to set up a free consultation today.

More Blog Posts:

Semi-Truck Driver Charged in Fatal I-95 Truck Accident, Maryland Trucking Accident Lawyer Blog, published July 28, 2015.

Two Dead, One Injured in Late-Night Maryland Truck Accident, Maryland Trucking Accident Lawyer Blog, published August 11, 2015.

Contact Information