The attorneys at Lebowitz & Mzhen Personal Injury Lawyers have developed the following list of things to do directly after an accident with a commercial vehicle. We suggest that our readers print out this list and place it in their glove compartment. We also suggest that you store a camera in your glove box in order to take photographs if you are involved in an accident.
1. STOP your car, no matter how minor the accident.
2. CALL THE POLICE to investigate the accident.
3. DO NOT DISCUSS THE ACCIDENT with anyone except the police officer on the scene.
4. GET INFORMATION ABOUT THE OTHER DRIVER AND THE TRACTOR TRAILER before leaving the scene of the accident. Make sure that you have the following information: (a) full name of the driver, (b) name of the trucking company, (c) Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) license number from the side of the cab of the commercial vehicle, (d) telephone number of the trucking company, (e) insurance company and policy number for the tractor trailer, and (f) license plate number of the tractor trailer.
5. GET NAMES, ADDRESSES AND TELEPHONE NUMBERS OF ALL WITNESSES.
6. DRAW A DIAGRAM of the accident.
7. TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS of the damage to your vehicle and, if possible, the tractor trailer, and any skid marks left on the roadway. Additionally, take photographs of your injuries if they are visible.
8. NOTIFY YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY.
9. DO NOT DISCUSS THE ACCIDENT WITH ANY INSURANCE COMPANY until you have talked to your lawyer.
10. IF YOU ARE INJURED, contact a doctor or go to the nearest emergency room as soon as possible.
If you are involved in an accident with a commercial vehicle, please contact Maryland truck accident lawyers for a free consultation.