Preliminary statistics for the number of injuries resulting from truck accidents in the United States in 2007 have been published on the US Department of Transportation Web site.
According to the data source Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS), in 2007 there were:
• 54,961 injury crashes involving large trucks resulting in 80,752 injuries.
• 6,709 bus accidents resulting in 15,297 injuries.
These figure indicate an increase in truck accident injuries compared to the year prior. According to the MCMIS 2006 truck accident injury statistics, there were:
• 60,058 large truck collisions resulting in 90,087 injuries.
• 6,811 bus accidents resulting in 16,044 injuries.
The Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) says that: in 2006:
• 4,995 people died in 4,732 large truck accidents.
• 331 people died in 299 bus accidents.
• In 2007, large truck accidents resulted in 4,808 fatalities.
Pursuing an injury claim resulting in a truck accident requires the knowledge of an experienced Maryland truck crash lawyer. Injuries sustained in accidents involving tractor-trailers, garbage trucks, semi-trucks, and 18-wheeler trucks can be catastrophic–even fatal. It is important that your attorney is familiar with both state and federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations and knows the way truck companies and their insurers handle injury cases in order to successfully pursue your personal injury claim or lawsuit.
Contact Lebowitz & Mzhen today.