Out of the 849 vehicles that were involved in deadly traffic collisions in Maryland last year, 63 of those motor vehicles were large trucks. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released these latest figures as part of its 2007 Traffic Safety Facts on large trucks. A large truck, according to the data, is a gross vehicle weighing more than 10,000 pounds.
More 2007 Facts on Large Truck Accidents in the United States:
• 413,000 large trucks were involved in US traffic collisions.
• 4,808 people died in large truck crashes.
• 101,000 people were injured in large truck crashes.
• 1 out of every 9 traffic deaths in the US involved a collision with a large truck.
• 75% (3,601) of the fatalities were passengers in other motor vehicles involved in collisions with large trucks.
• 8% (405) of the people that died in large truck accidents were not riding in any vehicles at the time of the crash.
• 17% (802) of the people that died in large truck accidents had been riding in trucks when the deadly crash occurred.
• 75% (75,000) of injury victims involved in large truck crashes were occupants of other vehicles.
• 23% (23,000) of the injury victims were large truck occupants.
• 2% (2,000) of the injury victims were not riding in any vehicles at the time the large truck crash occurred.
• Large trucks have a greater chance of becoming involved in a deadly multi-vehicle collision than passenger vehicles.
• 1% of large truck drivers involved in deadly crashes had a blood alcohol concentration of .08% or greater at the time of the accident.
• 23% of passenger car drivers, 23% of light truck drivers, and 27% of motorcyclists involved in deadly auto crashes recorded BAC’s of 08% or greater.
• Almost 24% of the large truck drivers involved in deadly crashes had at least one prior conviction for speeding.
• 19% of passenger car drivers involved in deadly crashes had prior speeding convictions.
Related Web Resources:
In Maryland and Washington DC, contact Lebowitz & Mzhen to schedule your free case evaluation with one of our experienced truck crash lawyers.